Sunday, July 25, 2021

# Book Reviews # Review Corner

Review Corner: REFLECTIONS OF AN ANXIOUS AFRICAN AMERICAN DAD by Eric L. Heard #bookreview

 



Title: REFLECTIONS OF AN AFRICAN AMERICAN DAD
Author: Eric L. Heard
Publisher: IUniverse
Pages: 93
Genre: Memoir

BOOK BLURB:

The purpose of this book is an awkward discussion of Eric Heard’s life to his son. He talks about his life in a candid way that tries to explain his anxiety as an African American dad. It is an open and honest account of his life through the life of a child that has been through a lot in his life. It is a reflection on his life that has been shaped by his childhood experiences.

PRAISE

“The book shines in its portrayal of systemic issues through the eyes of a child caught up in centuries of racism while living in an era of unprecedented change. It shows how, for instance, marginalized people don’t suddenly stand as equals to the rest of society after changes in legislation. Segregation was still the norm in the community Heard grew up in and many doors remained closed to African Americans” – Tomah, OnlineBookClub.org

“Eric L. Heard’s REFLECTIONS OF AN ANXIOUS AFRICAN AMERICAN DAD has a touching premise and strong central idea,…….”~PF Matthews for IndieReader   

“Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric Heard is a heartfelt, vulnerable, and uplifting memoir.” – Sheena Monin, Luminosity Media Group

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/34UpjeF

 


What a magnificent story. I grew up in the same era and I wanted to review this to give my perspective being as it resonated so deeply with me. I also was an Army brat, so I can also relate to what that's like having a father come home drunk and abusive, not saying that's what all Army fathers are like but I wanted to throw that in to let you know how close the author's and my stories are. There's one difference - I am white. And that was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to read this. One part of Heard's story, he tells the 'garbage bag' story. This in itself told me how proud his mother was - that she wasn't going to accept help in the way it was given or the fact she didn't care for her husband's mother. Grandma Eileen had collected hand me downs at flea markets to give to her grandson and his mother wasn't taking a liking to it. But it wasn't really that. Grandma Eileen upon leaving the bag said, "The boy did not have any clothes, so someone had to buy him some." And Mama didn't like it one bit and I don't blame her. I would have told her she could put those clothes where the sun doesn't shine. So she threw them back at her. Mama wasn't someone to be reckoned with when it came to her family no matter how poor they were. Anyway, I loved that story.

One particular part of the book had the author explaining how he couldn't believe all his family lived on the same street. Another comparison to my own life - we all lived in the same neighborhood. You sure can't say that now.

I really loved Heard's story of his childhood. This gave the reader an idea of what his childhood was like back in those times; quite a really nice feeling reading about their fishing trips, eating gumbo, and the like. Ordinary people who believed family was the most important thing.

Heard gives you this background information for the sole reason so that you can understand what his life was like and how it rounded out his personality in regards for child rearing in the future. After all, this book is his wisdom he is giving to his son so that he can grow up to be the best he can be and avoid all that crap out there that sends a child wayward. The author has great intentions. Fatherhood is the most important thing to him and he wanted to make sure he does it right. I feel the book should be read by all fathers and young men before they come fathers.

I do want to mention one part in the book well there are several that talks about alcoholism. Heard is an army brat as was I. I felt like I was reading bits and pieces of my own life story. I personally think alcoholism was rampant among the military and its families. I say this because I'm constantly hearing stories just like this one. Heard's thoughts and feelings during the times when there would be drinking and uproar because of the drinking came through in a storytelling way. I wanted to read more and more and didn't want him to stop. This could be because I could relate to all this or the simple fact that the author is a wonderful storyteller.

But we have to get back to why the book was written in the first place. Having finished, I can say that the author did a marvelous job of telling a story yet giving us insight into his personality/traits/character in regards to how it would effect him as a black father of a black child. Without giving us this information, we couldn't gather our thoughts to judge. We shouldn't judge but the author wants us to judge. This is how he knows he got his point across. To me, he did a magnificent job and I will definitely read anymore of these stories when they are written. 

I mention I am 'white' because I just have to say that his life wasn't very different from my own. Since I am not an African American, I thought the book would give me raw insight into things I hadn't heard before and it did but I want more. While every family's situation is different no matter what is the color of your skin, we are all humans. This is the reason why I want Heard to write more and go for the gut even more. I love reading books like this. I feel that going for the gut is the best thing he can do for his son. His son would relate more. I am so looking forward to more books by this wonderful author.


Highly highly recommend and so I give it 5 gold stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message!

Follow Us @soratemplates