Tuesday, April 13, 2021

# 20 Questions

20 Questions with Richard Robbins #20Questions

Richard Robbins’ novels explore the complexities of family dynamics to address important moral questions, while imparting a strong sense of location. His first novel, Love, Loss, and Lagniappe takes to the streets of New Orleans and New York City to explore the journey of self-discovery after heartbreaking loss, while revealing the scientific basis for the meaning of life. His second novel, Panicles, covers the lives of two intertwined families in and around Washington DC, while addressing the price of fame and fortune.

His new release, The Tormenting Beauty of Empathy, follows Hana, a young Guatemalan immigrant mute from childhood tragedy, as her quiet life is upended by the birth of a daughter who turns out to be different. And special. The kind of special that soon draws worldwide attention, for the better, and worse…

Richard was named Louisiana Independent Author of the Year for 2020, and his works have won numerous awards, including the Feathered Quill Book Awards and the Readers’ Favorite Book Awards. He lives in New Orleans and New York City with his wife Lisa, near their beloved grown children.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: www.Robbinsbooks.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.robbins.7737

 

Title: THE TORMENTING BEAUTY OF EMPATHY
Author: Richard Robbins
Publisher: Evolved Publishing
Pages: 251
Genre: Literary / Spiritual Fiction

BOOK BLURB:

Hana, a young Guatemalan woman who fell mute from a childhood tragedy, flees the brutal Civil War ravaging her country in search of a better life in the United States. Soon after arriving, she discovers she’s pregnant, and is banished from her new home and sent to live in a Mayan community in Indiantown, Florida.

There, she settles into a peaceful life of embroidery and raising her child, a daughter who turns out to be… different… and special—the kind of special that soon draws worldwide attention, for the better and worse.

PRAISE

“…a heart-warming, somewhat traumatic journey into the world of spirituality and the human condition. I was deeply touched by The Tormenting Beauty of Empathy. This is a beautiful, touching, and redeeming tale that I can highly recommend to everyone. When as a reader you feel better inside for having read a book, you know the author has achieved his or her goal. This is such a book.” ~ Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews, Grant Leishman (5 STARS)

“Like the simple faith aspired to in The Tormenting Beauty of Empathy by Richard Robbins, the story moves with basic grace…. This tale is told with heartfelt belief, but also with an unswerving directness that feels preordained… appealing to the contemporary Christian message of love and kindness.” ~ Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews, Joel R. Dennstedt (5 STARS)

“…a thoughtful take on an age-old theme.” ~ Readers’ Favorite Book Reviews, Lucinda E. Clarke (5 STARS)

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2OOFbup


1. Are you a morning writer or a night writer? I prefer to write in the mornings and afternoons. I am freshest and most clear minded earlier, and can consume coffee in the mornings without it keeping me up at night.

2. Do you outline or are you a pantster? I am an outliner. Each of my novels began as a single idea or theme, such as exploring the relationship between a boy and a girl who have been best friends since birth, or the way that organized religion would react to a chosen one who was outside their perception of who that should be. I then make a skeleton outline of the story and gradually fill it in, chapter by chapter. First in broad strokes, then progressively more detailed.

3. Which comes first – plot or character? Central theme or idea, then main characters, then plot, then minor characters. I think my favorite part of writing is creating the minor characters. I do not plan them on the first outline, and I am often surprised how they end up in the story, some of which have become my favorite characters.

4. Noise or quiet when working on your manuscript? I prefer background noise. I live in New Orleans, and the city has a wonderful coffee culture, beginning with its French Settlers, and continuing to the present day as one of the world’s leading ports for coffee imports. The city is full of charming independent coffee shops, and you’ll find me most days sitting in one, tapping on my laptop, and sipping coffee and chicory.

5. Favorite TV show? Deadwood. The acting is wonderful, and the dialogue is Shakespearean. Except for the cursing.

6. Favorite type of music? Reggae and classic rock. And classic rock is defined as whatever was popular when you were in high school.

7. Favorite craft besides writing? None there, I’m a one trick pony.

8. Do you play a musical instrument? See last answer. My daughter played the harp, but gave it up when she discovered boys.

9. Single or married? Married to my Med School sweetheart for 32 years.

10. Children or no? Three children, and they are what I am most proud of in my life.

11. Pets? Yes, Winnie, a sixteen-year-old mutt we adopted from a shelter.

12. Favorite place to write? I like to write in coffee shops, as I mentioned above. I like the background noise, and being out of the house eliminates the distractions of the dog, the doorbell, and the refrigerator.

13. Favorite restaurant? The best meal I’ve ever had was at Laurie Raphael in Quebec City. While the food was spectacular, the romance of the beautiful city combined with the presence of close friends made it a perfect evening. The best meal I’ve had in New Orleans was at August, also made special by sharing it with good friends.

14. Do you work outside the home? See my other answers regarding coffee shops.

15. What was the name of the last movie you saw? It was a smaller movie called Win Win, starring Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan. It was beautifully told and wonderfully acted. I always wonder why some great movies don’t receive larger audiences. The same can be said for books.

16. Favorite outdoor activity? I love riding my bicycle through Audubon Park in Uptown New Orleans. I am awed each and every day by the beauty of the park and the homes surrounding it.

17. Pet peeve? Pet peeves.

18. Your goal in life? To bring love and happiness to my friends and family, and the world beyond. I feel blessed to have love, health, and opportunity, and I try to improve the lives of everyone that I come in contact with, even if it’s just a kind word or pleasant smile.

19. Your most exciting moment? The birth of my children. Even as a scientist by training, I find it hard not to believe in higher power after witnessing the miracle of life being created.

20. The love of your life? Do you really have to ask? After 32 years of marriage? It is my wife, of course, as well as our three children.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message!

Follow Us @soratemplates