Monday, October 15, 2018

# Interviews

A Bookish Conversation with Marian L. Thomas, Author of 'The Caged Butterfly' @marianlthomas01 #womensfiction #VBT



I want you to laugh a lot. I believe that laughing is like a sweet-smelling aroma for the soul and the heart. I used to laugh all the time. Back when life was good and innocent, and I was good and innocent.

Don’t prove my dream a lie.

Don’t be a caged butterfly.

Become something and someone that is even better than what I could see.

I don’t know what your new parents will call you, but in my heart, I whispered Thomas Gray Livingston III in your ears, if you be a boy. Mama thinks that you are and like I said before, she ain’t never wrong.

If I could give you one piece of advice, I’d tell you this—love the skin you’re in.”

From The Caged Butterfly by Marian L. Thomas

Award-Winning Author and Speaker, Marian L. Thomas, has penned five engaging novels to date. Her books have been seen on national television stations such as the Oprah Winfrey Network, Ovation, and the A&E Network. She has been featured in print magazines, newspapers and a guest on local, national and online radio stations. For her book, I Believe In Butterflies, Marian ranked among the top 100 Most Popular Authors in Literary Fiction on Amazon. She spent most of her teen years in Oak Park, Illinois, but now resides in a suburb of Atlanta with her husband. She enjoys a good bag of popcorn, a plate full of pasta, and a grape pop.

Book Description:
Who Would Think That One Act of Love Could Affect Four Generations?
On December 29, 1930, Mildred "Millie" Mayfield gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Addie. Millie teaches Addie three things that she feels matters most in life; inner beauty, reading books and giving your “special something’ only to the man you marry. Addie lives up to the first two. On one autumn night in 1949, Addie falls for the irresistible red curls and vibrant green eyes of a young man from the other side of the railroad tracks. Neither knowing that the consequences of their love would have lasting effects. Known as one of the greatest white jazz pianists in New York, Timmy Taylor never had a reason to question his identity – until truth and betrayal strike. Will Timmy be able to push past the pain? Beautiful and talented, Nina Taylor inherited her father's gift, but not his looks. Certain that's how he made it big, she dives deep into an obsession that could be deadly. Will Nina learn to love the skin she’s in before it’s too late? Spanning from 1920 to 1996, this captivating tale of secrets, betrayal, and forgiveness will pull at the strings of your heart, and keep you turning pages while you pray for a happy ending.
Interview:
Welcome, Marian!  So excited about your new book, The Caged Butterfly. Can you tell everyone why you wrote it?
Marian:  When an idea for a book comes to mind, it’s hard to dismiss it. The Caged Butterfly, was no different. I wanted to write a book that was rich in ‘real-life’ dialogue and captured the essence of
what we, as women, go through. Love, heartache, loss and even a little betrayal from those we love most if we’re truly honest with ourselves.
Also, I love books that show how the decisions we make, affect the generations that come after us. There’s real truth in that journey.  
The prologue made me cry (an excerpt is above). Can you tell us a little about your main characters?
Marian: First, let me say that I love these characters. The reader’s introduced to each of them through the first-person narrative.
Addie Mayfield is a young southern woman who falls in love with a young man from the other side of the railroad tracks.
Mildred ‘Millie’ Mayfield is Addie’s mother. She’s a strong-minded, morally-driven woman with three main beliefs in life: inner-beauty is the core of a woman, reading books is vital, and young women should only give their something ‘special’ to the man they will marry.
 Timmy Taylor is fighting the bitterness of the past through the keys of his piano.
Nina Taylor is a young woman who must learn what it means to love the skin you’re in before her decisions in life take her down a path that could be life-threatening.
 If someone found themselves being a caged butterfly, what kind of advice or wisdom can you give them?
Marian: There’s freedom in believing in yourself and strength in loving someone with all your heart. Don’t be afraid of either of them. Without love and belief, where would we be?
What was it like growing up as a child and what did you want to become when you grew up?
Marian: When I was a youngster, as they say, I wanted to be a journalist. Although, this revelation didn’t hit me until I was wrapping up high school. Before that, I was into drawing with charcoal, tie-dying and working with clay.
My mother sent me to various art classes, and I even represented my high school at a State Art competition, during my freshmen year.
What do you attribute your fine art of storytelling? Does it come naturally?
Marian: For me, the recipe for storytelling comes from a few cups of life experience, a heaping spoon of learning from other storytellers, and a dash of natural ability.
When you're not writing, what do you do for fun?
Marian: My husband and I enjoy the beach. I also enjoy sappy or funny movies, and I get a real kick out of watching a good Sci-Fi movie on a Friday night with a giant bowl of popcorn.
Is there anything you'd like to tell your fans?
Marian: Let’s stay connected. Feel free to follow me on Twitter, like me on Facebook, and by all means, please hit the ‘follow’ button if you’re a member of Bookbub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your message!

Follow Us @soratemplates